Home | | News | Contact | Registration for visit | Imprint |
   
 
 The Memorial
 Historical Location
  Special Camp 3
  Soviet Prison
  Remand Prison
  Prison Hospital
  Investigation Dep.
  Prison Department
  Secret Area
  State Security
  Prisoners
 Visitors' Service
 Schools and colleges
 Events
 Exhibitions
 Publications
 Research
 Media Support
 Links
 Fake Rolex UK

Spendenkonto
Sparkasse Berlin
BLZ 100 500 00
Kto.-Nr. 0190 205 741

Ihre Spende fließt an den Förderverein Gedenkstätte Berlin-Hohenschönhausen, der damit unsere Arbeit unterstützt. Vielen Dank!

Info:
Български
Česky
Dansk
Deutsch
English
Español
Eesti keel
Français
Italiano
Latviski
Lietuvių kalba
Nederlands
Polski
ПоـРусски
Slovenščina
Svenska
Türkçe
 
Historical Location
Sperrgebietsplan
Map of the Berlin-Hohenschönhausen Restricted Area with the former remand prison outlined in black.


It would be hard to find another site in Germany so intricately linked with the 44-year history of political persecution in the Soviet Occupation Zone and the German Democratic Republic (GDR) as the Berlin-Hohenschönhausen Memorial. In June 1945, the Soviet Secret Police took over a former canteen block and food store in the north-east of Berlin and turned it into a detainment and transit camp called 'Special Camp No. 3'. After the camp was closed in October 1946, the cellar was converted into an underground cell section that served as the main Soviet Secret Police prison in Germany and was used for detention and interrogation. In 1951 the East German Ministry of State Security (MfS) took over the prison, added a new prison building and, until 1989, used the site as its main remand centre. Thousands of political prisoners passed through this jail, including nearly all the prominent figures opposing the GDR regime.

The main MfS service units responsible for prisons and criminal prosecutions were conveniently located in nearby Genslerstrasse, close to the prison: the Main Investigation Department (HA IX) and the Central Prison Department Headquarters (Dept. XIV), which reported directly to Erich Mielke, Minister of State Security. These two departments monitored and directed the work of all investigation departments and remand prisons in the 15 local authority areas comprising the GDR. The remand prison and restricted area formed a kind of headquarters of communist repression in East Germany.

The remand prison was located within a restricted military area hermetically sealed off from the outside world. This area, which never appeared on any maps of East Berlin, was home to a number of other MfS service units: the Operative Technical Sector (OTS), whose tasks included, for example, building bugging systems; Sector HA IX/11, responsible for a secret Nazi archive; and a part of the Espionage Data Processing Centre (HVA). Until 1974, labour camp "X" was located directly next to the prison. The labour camp used sentenced prisoners as forced labour for the Ministry of State Security.


 
Political prisoners today

Political prisoners today

In cooperation with
amnesty international

The Prohibited District
Proh.District
The Stasi Restricted Area Berlin-Hohenschönhausen

Please note that, as yet, it is only possible to tour the Memorial in a group - click here for details
louis vuitton taschen